Bruce H. Levitt
During my nearly thirty year legal career, I have concentrated my practice in the areas of bankruptcy, debtor/creditor rights, foreclosure defense, and bankruptcy and commercial litigation. I developed my expertise representing debtors, creditors and bankruptcy trustees while working in several major law firms. In 1995, I decided to pursue my passion of helping individuals and small businesses address their financial problems by opening the law firm of Levitt & Slafkes, P.C.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey in 1984, I was previously a Bankruptcy Trustee for the Office of the Unites States Trustee in Newark, New Jersey, where I administered Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases. I am a former member of the Lawyers’ Advisory Committee of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey as well as the District V-B Fee Arbitration Committee of the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A former Master of the Bankruptcy American Inn of Court, I have had articles published in numerous publications, including the New Jersey Law Journal.
A lifelong New Jersey resident, I received my undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Fairleigh Dickinson University. I received my law degree from Emory Law School, where I was elected to the Board of Editors of the Emory Law Journal.
I have lectured for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) on various bankruptcy related topics, served on several panels at the annual New Jersey State Bar Association Bankruptcy Bench- Bar Conference and have given numerous seminars to lawyers, real estate professionals and homeowners on foreclosure related topics. I have also served as an expert witness in bankruptcy-related matters.
As an experienced litigator, among my proudest accomplishments was my successful representation of the prevailing Plaintiff in the bankruptcy case of Kemp v. Countrywide Home Loans. This case gained national prominence in the ongoing battle to require mortgage lenders to follow the law before they can foreclosure and take away a person’s home.
I have devoted many years of service to non profit organizations including the serving on the Boards of the South Mountain YMCA, the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Essex County which provides shelter to homeless families throughout Essex County and the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation.
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Foreclosure Defense
- Mortgage Servicing Abuse
- Mortgage Modifications
- New Jersey, 1984
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Federal District Court of New Jersey
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- Farleigh Dickinson University, Madison, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1979
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Lecturer, Bankruptcy Topics, New Jersey State Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section
- Lecturer, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE)
- Lecturer, Legal Services of New Jersey
- Lecturer, Essex County Bar Association
- Panelist, New Jersey State Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Bench Bar Conference
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Present
- Essex County Bar Association, Present
- Former Member, Lawyer's Advisory Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court, District of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association , Present
- Master Bankruptcy Inn of Court, Present
- Former Member District V-B Fee Arbitration Committee, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Staff Attorney to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 1982 to 1984
- Demaria, Ellis and Hunt, Newark, New Jersey , 1984 to 1991
- Greenberg Margolis, Roseland, New Jersey, 1991 to 1993
- Mudge, Rose, Guthrie, Alexander and Ferdon, Chair New Jersey Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group, 1993 to 1995