Most people do not search for a lawyer until they really need one. Choosing your bankruptcy attorney is one of the most important decisions you can make. You want to work with somebody who is intelligent and experienced, but also who makes you feel comfortable and communicates openly with you. Below are a few tips on how to find the best bankruptcy lawyer for you:
· Investigate the law firm’s reputation. Ask friends and family if they have referrals. The internet can also be a great tool for gathering information about an attorney.
· Ask questions and make sure the lawyer can explain the answers in a way that you understand.
· Make sure you understand the different types of bankruptcy available to you.
· Talk to the lawyer about the cost of filing a case. Some law firms will allow you to pay their fees and costs in installments, if necessary.
· Trust your instincts. If you feel like you’ve find the right attorney for you, you’re probably right.
· Retain an attorney simply because he or she is the cheapest. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
· Feel ashamed or embarrassed to talk to the attorney. They are there to help you, not judge you.
· Let the attorney pressure you into filing a bankruptcy case. A really good lawyer will explain all of your debt relief options.
Having the “right” bankruptcy attorney can reduce your stress, help you feel comfortable with the process and ensure that your case goes as smoothly as possible. Filing a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 case is not the end of the world. It is the first step in getting a second chance. We would love the opportunity to be by your side throughout your case. Call us today to schedule an initial consultation.
We are bankruptcy lawyers who know how to make a difference in your financial situation. We have experience you can rely on and we care about your results. Contact our New Jersey law firm online by filling out the form or by calling 973-323-2953 to schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney at Levitt & Slafkes, P.C..